Did you know that there are millions of American children living with mental health issues? In fact, about one in five children and adolescents in the U.S. struggle with a mental health disorder; with ADHD, anxiety, behavioral problems, and depression being the most common.
We want to come together as a community to lower that statistic and shed light on mental health issues among children and adolescents. Keep reading to learn more about how we’re raising awareness and making a difference!
The Panda Symbol: Our Mission of Raising Awareness of Mental Health
In collaboration with Spanish artist, Domingo Zapata, we created a panda symbol that represented child and adolescent mental health awareness. Our goal is to normalize mental health issues among young people, help others understand the signs, and learn how to help our Nation’s young people cope with mental health illnesses.
Why The Panda?
The panda is a universal symbol of strength, resilience, and care. While pandas spend about 14 hours a day alone when together they are resilient animals and are incredibly supportive of one another. We hope to make a difference in the world by implementing our panda symbol in organizations around the world to shed light on mental health issues.
Northwell Health Hospital’s Support
Aware partnered with Northwell Health to help raise awareness of the powerful meaning behind the panda symbol. Northwell made the decision to collaborate with us because of our mission and our natural, healing, and sustainable clothing attributes.
Currently, 40,000 (1%) of all babies are born at Northwell Health Hospital. Our goal is to provide Northwell Health with a body suit with the panda symbol for every parent for their newborn baby born at the hospital.
Partner With Aware
Our mission is to put the panda symbol out there in the world to raise awareness and end the stigma around mental health issues. We offer collaboration and partnership opportunities for brands who want to make a difference along with us. Want to get involved? Partner with us! Here’s how…
- As a business, you can collaborate with us to produce and promote your products with the panda symbol on them
- Each collaboration requires a licensing fee for the panda symbol. With that, a percentage will be given to hospitals to support children and adolescents with mental health issues
Aware is a sustainable clothing brand owned by women that want to make a difference by protecting our children, our communities, and eventually the world.
We put the panda symbol on some of our clothing items, designed to promote mental health wellness and inspire people to start conversations about mental health.
Additionally, a percentage of profits of each licensed purchase of Aware’s product line will go towards our mental health awareness mission.
Helping Your Child Cope With Mental Health
If you think your child may be struggling with a mental health issue, here are some signs to look out for:
- Withdrawing from friends or activities they used to enjoy
- Changes in eating habits or sleeping patterns
- Acting out in school or at home
- Difficulty concentrating or completing tasks
- Exhibiting more physical complaints such as headaches or stomachaches
- Expressing feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness
As a parent, it can be difficult to watch your child struggling with mental health. Here are some tips to help your child cope with mental health issues:
- Create a stable, consistent, encouraging, and supportive home environment
- Provide a safe place for your child to communicate with you
- Teach your child healthy coping strategies, such as deep breathing exercises or journaling
- Seek professional help for your child via a pediatrician or therapist
Mental Health Resources For Parents + Children
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Self Harm Hotline